Robinson Pass to Mossel Bay
Ruiterbos is the start of the Robinson pass and was constructed between 1867 and 1869 and was named after the then commissioner of roads, M.R. Robinson. Previously there was a bridal path over the Outeniqua mountains and it was named the Ruiterbosch Pad. The pass was realigned and tarred in the 1950’s but signs of the original pass constructed by Thomas Bain are still to be seen next to the tar road on both sides of the pass. At the top of the pass, on the Western side of the road is a monument to M.R. Robinson and directly opposite, the original road curves down the mountain side away from the present road in the direction of the Mooihoek farm homestead.